Thursday, December 24, 2009

It What's For Dinner

I just sent poor Pooldad off to the grocery store with a very long list. He is such a trooper! :)
~
What do y'all serve for Christmas dinner? Since we have always stayed at home and everyone came to us [hey, I wasn't shuttling all those kids around half of northern Virginia, okay?] we go with a buffet. This allows people to come when they want and eat as little or as much as they want depending if they have other places to visit.
~
I thought I would share our menu 'cause I am getting tired of being tired of the last few days and food makes me happy :).
~
Spiral Slice Ham
Baked Beans
Macaroni Salad
Potato Salad
Cranberry Sauce*
Devilled Eggs
Yeast Rolls
Vegetables and Dip
Spinach Artichoke Dip
Chips and Dip**
Assorted Homemade Cookies and Candy
Chocolate Fondue
~
Boring, right? I swear if I don't make this every year I have a rebellion on my hands. Lil' tyrants. Funny thing is I hate ham. Always have - but does anyone think that matters? Nooooo, they know they are getting ham at least once a year and it will be on Christmas. I don't really mind - I love having salads in the middle of winter. Yum! And? I can pretty much eat my weight in rolls and spinach dip. Double yum.
~
*Don't ask me why this is on the menu - it just seems that my daughter loves cranberry sauce and insists I make it. So ham and cranberry sauce anyone?
~
**This is so lame, but it sure does go a long way to keeping my littlest visitors happy. It is a staple at any buffet with little ones. :)
~
I want to thank you all again for your support and kind words. I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas. I will be thinking of you.

5 comments:

Sally said...

I think your menu sounds delicious! Of course, I love ham. I think the buffet idea is a great one since I love to be able to eat a bit and then go back for more later.

Typically, at my dad's house we have an appetizer dinner for Christmas. I love appetizers, so in general I think it's great... (there's a back story there, but in the spirit of Christmas I will let it go!)

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Sounds wonderful to me! In fact I will also be having ham and potatoe salad with bread and dips tomorrow! Enjoy!

OmaLindasOldeBaggsandStuftShirts said...

Yummy, if Virginia (ham) was closer......ya might have unexpected guests or pests. The menu is one my family would be thrilled with because being from the land of enchantment Nuevo Mejico, we have Green Chile Chicken enchiladas, pinto beans, red chile with pork for the beans, homemade flour tortilaas, emanaditas (little fried fruit pies) and biscochitos (anise shortbread like cookies with cinnamon sugar on top. Now on Christmas day dinner which was the family get together and argue fest we had turkey blah, blah, blah. But since I am the olde bagg in charge now, we have pork roast with applesauce ginger glaze, spiced apples, asparagus spears, waldorf salad and all the Tennessee jam cake and asst. cookies and fudge we can manage. You said you liked food ......so come on down. Mi Casa es Su Casa.

RVVagabond said...

Ours is the boring traditional menu; ham, baked beans, mac n cheese, cranberry salad (the jello version), deviled eggs, shrimp cocktail appetizers, cookies, pumpkin and cherry/rhubarb or Dutch apple pies. This year, Denny and I will cut it down to ham, beans, mac n cheese and pie--he's making the pie right now. Tomorrow morning I will make Mom's Danish Puff pastry for breakfast--that was a staple for as long as I can remember, but now I will be the one to make it. Raising a glass to you and yours, my dear. Love ya.

Rudee said...

You forgot to invite my father in law for ham. He'll be disappointed.

Merry Christmas, Skippy. I hope your mum is doing better this evening.