Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Wish I Had the Internet Back Then

When I was applying to college my parents informed me "Skippymom you can apply at colleges 1, 2, 3 and 4. These are our choices. And you may have one pick."

Okay. I applied at 5 schools without knowing that my parents had already decided that my one and only choice was going to be Georgetown University. I had no idea they were blowing off the other four [including MY choice] but I went along with it and acquiesed when they decided that UPenn, Syracuse, UVA and VATech [my choice] were not for me, although I had applied and been accepted.

I was miserable for four years - but HEY! GU! How can you go wrong with THAT diploma? BAH!

I have [subsequently] taken great pleasure in being a stay at home Mom in lieu of using my Linguistic knowledge. Let's just say being a SAHM has definitely had it's rewards these past 20 some odd years.

Now comes the time for the Eldest [in the house] to start applying to colleges. Pooldad and I refuse to do what my parents did and will support her in any choice she makes in regard to which school she wishes to attend.

We have found the coolest sites on the 'net where you can input her stats [GPA, class rank, SATs and extracurriculars] and it will allow you to see if she has a chance of acceptance.

We had fun this afternoon because the Eldest's report card [with GPA/class rank] and her SATs arrived this weekend. We used the info on different websites and found out her top 5 picks are absolutely accepting based on her performance. She has an awesome chance to attend any of her top picks.

They are:

  • Stanford University
  • University of Pennsylvania
  • University of Virginia
  • College of William and Mary
  • Vanderbilt University

To say we are proud is an understatement. We want what she wants. It is no secret to all the tadpoles that she has wanted to be a Veternarian since she was a little girl and she [alone] has worked towards this goal. She has not lost sight of it and her energy goes to making it happen with no prodding, cajoling or harrassment from us. We don't need to. She just does.

I just wish I had this technology back then. I don't think I could've swayed my parents away from GU, but at least I would've had a fighting chance of a bus out of town.

To Blacksburg.

2 comments:

Rudee said...

Vanderbilt to make that dream come true. They're all good of course, but I think Vanderbilt has one of the best vet programs around.

Yvo Sin said...

I know nothing about vet programs so I should probably defer to Rudee but I'm not that kind of gal, ha.

Out of that list, Stanford would be my push. I actually gasped with delight when I saw it on the list. Stanford was my dream school; unfortunately by the time I picked it as my dream school, I discovered that my years of slacking weren't going to cut it. Ah well. In any case, my heart is bursting with pride for her - please tell her I support any decision she makes but if she goes to Stanford I will be especially happy lol (like it's my choice hahahaah don't you love how I stuck myself in there!)