Thursday, July 16, 2009

Does This Seem Right to You?

Tomorrow the Eldest is having her Senior portraits taken. She will be draped [tuxes for the guys] and in her cap and gown. We also have the option of casual shots too.

Here is the ruse, tho'. We have to pay [at minimum] a $30.00 sitting fee. This is to take the pics - no problem if I was going to purchase from this company. I do understand sitting fees. My problem is if you DON'T use this company your child's picture will not be in the yearbook.

Huh?

Why do I have to pay $30.00 to assure my daughter is going to be in a yearbook I will then pay $100.00 for later this year?

Does that seem fair? I think there should be an option for parents that just want the drape/cap and gown in the yearbook that doesn't cost a penny. Don't the upcoming Seniors have a right to be in the yearbook for free?

Someone correct me if I am wrong about this, but seriously? It just feels like extortion.

5 comments:

Amy said...

Isn't extortion what senior year is all about? First you have pictures, then graduation anouncements, then cap and gown rental, then you have to pay for the tassel, then the diploma cover...I could go on, but I will save it for spring. It's all a big scam!

Marni said...

Ridiculous... they have you over a barrel for things like that. They know they can rip you off because it is SO important for the senior!

jerks

Yvo Sin said...

This is high school. We had senior dues (the ONLY year we had dues) - I went to a public high school that is actually pretty loaded - and I assume that covered everything because I was never asked for more money. Paid for yearbook, senior t shirt (which was uglier than ... ugh), and I guess our sitting fees. But it wasn't broken down so it felt marginally less like being ripped off... I think it was $150-200ish... oh we paid for prom separately because obviously some people didn't want to go so they didn't buy tickets... this was 10 years ago...

Rudee said...

Ah yes. Welcome to the most outrageously expensive year of your child's education. It's just the beginning.

SkippyMom said...

Thanks y'all. I know there are costs to her senior year, she is my third senior - this is the first time I had to make a payment to make sure she was IN the yearbook.

If you guys had any idea what we have already spent for band trips, NHS, Spanish HS and MUN then you would understnad we already get the cost of public high school - This particular cost is extortion, plan and simple.

Buying a class ring, renting a cap and gown or her AP exams [$94x4 this year] isn't the problem. She should be in the yearbook for free.

But thanks for trying to make me feel bad. That is what I count on y'all for. :)