Sunday, May 29, 2011

Chicken A'la Weekend

It's a chicken kind of weekend Tadpoles - especially when you can get an amazing deal on 7 humongous chicken breasts and you have a husband who grills.

This is our 4 day menu [4 dinners/1 lunch] made with the chicken.

Friday night - Dinner for two - a little bit of romance as the littlest was at a sleepover

3 teriyaki marinated and grilled chicken breasts
steamed cauliflower
2 baked potatoes

We saved 1 1/2 of those breasts to make Saturday night's dinner for all three of us
teriyaki chicken salad w/ lettuce & tomato on sub rolls
watermelon [so, so good]
chips

Sunday's lunch was a repeat of last night's dinner - told you those breast are huge - and the chicken salad is scrumptious.

Sunday night
6 chicken fajitas w/peppers and onions divided between the three of us [2 breasts]
refried beans & cheese

Monday night
5 grilled chicken kabobs with peppers and onions - 1 for Mom and 2 each for Dad & Wallene [2 breasts]
macaroni salad

The only thing I like better than being able to eat my husband's grilled masterpieces is doing it healthy and on the cheap.

Fabulous!

Grocery list:
Chicken breasts - $12
Teriyaki marinade - $1.79
Cauliflower - $3.00
2 baked potatoes - $1.00
6 sub rolls - $1.70
Chips - $1.00
Watermelon - $4.00 [we are still eating this. yum!]
Celery - $2.00
Onion - .75 cents
3 different colored pepper pack - $4.00
Macaroni - $1.00
Refried beans - $1.25
Cheese [1 cup] - $1.00
Lettuce - $1.00
Tomato - $1.00
6 Tortillas - $1.25
Fajita spice - $1.19

Total:  $38.93
Per meal: $7.78
Per person: $2.59

Makes me smile all the way around. :)

I hope you all are having a relaxing weekend with friends, family and beautiful weather - oh! and good food! :)
Memorial Day is tomorrow and I will be back to honor those I most hold dear.
Have a great one gang!




14 comments:

Jennifer said...

Oh, I love it! I've been going coupon and sale crazy over here and also bought chicken breasts on sale for 99 cents/lb last week. Chicken is THE AWESOMENESS! I just adore versatile meat! HA HA! :D

Your London Broil posts inspired me to try that out for the first time. We are in YUM YUM land over here!

Hope ya'll are having a FANTABULOUS weekend!

(((HUGS)))

Southhamsdarling said...

Hi Skippy. Hope you're enjoying your time with Pooldad this weekend, and he's got another day off tomorrow. YAY!! Wow, that's quite a lot of chicken there, but it all sounds delicious! Tell Pooldad he can come over and cook something for me any time he likes!! Still really cold over here :(, but I live in hope!!

ellen abbott said...

having just come back from the grocery store, that would make me smile too.

Teresa said...

sounds positively delish. i will be fixing chicken tomorrow. we had light meal today. friday we ate with keith and his girlfriend (twice) and yesterday i was working at the old house so pretty much missed mealtimes. keith bought pizza and i had a piece of it.

BB said...

I want to know when you're making chicken and dumplings? Give me 6 hrs. drive time! haha

Unknown said...

That was a very good menu my friend and a very frugal way to cook. I love stretching meals too. I am tickled pink that I am able to leave you a comment which is rare these days. Take care
Odie

Rebecca said...

that is totally awesome and sounds so yummy

My Life

Jeannie said...

I've never actually broken a meal down to it's component parts for the total price but that sounds like a fantastic deal - I think most of your grocery prices look similar to ours. Except for the chicken. Great deal. I went to the market Saturday with my baby and bought a capon for $15. I should have asked my other son and his family over for dinner as the four of us didn't manage to eat even half of it. So it will do at least one more meal as chicken and then soup. You got the better deal.

Celia said...

Good job. I want some dinner at your house.

Julie said...

can i come visit and you can feed me??? I'll even pay for the food!

Julie said...

OMG - my post has gone thru - Like Odie i'm so surprised!!!! Glad you had a good weekend. Been chilling here - Paul going off to school for his last exam - Religious, Moral an Philosphical Studies!!!! Mmmmm - too much brain drain for me!!! And Peter is going out with one of his support workers - he wants to go to Edinburgh to take more photos and go to the Disney shop!!

Anonymous said...

Thought I would drop by and say hello. Hope all is well and the menu looks great!

Friko said...

Well, at least you are passionate about food as well as the family. Great dishes!

I love chicken, except that some of the additions you've used wouldn't agree with me, unfortunately.

Thank you for popping over to Friko's World and leaving such a nice comment.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderful set of meals. I love chicken.

And yay for saving!