Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Oh Happy Day!

It seems the US is one year away from getting approval for a new drug for Lupus called Benlysta. [If you like you can read about it here.]

They have been in clinical trials for a few years [hey! no one told me] and if approved [please] it will be the first drug approved for the treatment of Lupus in over 50 years.

Oh Happy Day! The company is putting in for approval now but it will be the end of next year before they know if they have received it.

It would be really nice to know there is finally a choice that doesn't have the side effects of the steroids, other drugs or the ineffectiveness of OTC painkillers.

All my Lupus pals hang in there! It seems they may have a major breakthrough for the pain and the flares.

I feel better already! :)

7 comments:

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Jeannie said...

Excellent news! I'm in Canada - and one of my employees may have Lupus - so it may eventually make its way here too.

RVVagabond said...

Nice to see good news on that front. I hope they get the drug through and that it really IS effective.

Gail said...

That great! Hope it gets on the market soon.

Rudee said...

I do hope it's a worthwhile medication. I couldn't understand from the article which stage of trial they were in, but hopefully, it's close.

SkippyMom said...

Me too Rudee.

They have finished two trials required by law and both went well. With the information that they have they now have to submit it to the FDA for approval which should take a year.

Even if it doesn't work out - it is a HUGE step for Lupus as nothing has come close in 50 years.

Hope is a good thing.

Diane Laney Fitzpatrick said...

My niece has Lupus. Will pass this along to her. Thanks, Skippy.