Monday, August 8, 2011

Um, I Don't Think That Was Supposed To Happen

Oops. giggle

While in the country this weekend we did what we usually do and went over to the fields to feed the horses carrots.  Pooldad's parents' home is located in a resort that has many activities, one of which is trail rides. Hence a great, big herd of horses.

They come in all shapes and sizes - from ponies all the way up to draft horses. But, Pooldad has a special spot in his heart for "Charlotte".  When he went riding with Wallene a few weeks ago they gave him Charlotte as his mount and I swear - when he arrived home, after the ride, he was ....well...to give you an idea this is what Charlotte looks like:
photo credit
She is a big [HUGE] horse.  My husband was walking around, playing the "manly card" because they had put him on such a large horse. [Side note: The last time we went riding they put him on a regular sized trail horse.] This was an impressive feat, let me tell you.

Anyway - the carrots. We spend as much on carrots as we do gas when we go to the country.  Worth every penny tho'.

As there is never a dull moment in the pond - on Saturday we had a little mishap that we thought was pretty funny.

The horses are kept in pastures that are surrounded by a typical three board fence that is about 4 1/2 foot high - it hits me about chest level. When they see you have the goodies they will come over and hang their heads over the fence and eat right off of your palm.  It is great!  Some are more aggressive then others but you learn to look out for the little guys and make sure they get their treats too.

Charlotte was front and center during all of this and Pooldad was having a grand time feeding her carrots.  At one point  he ran out.  He turned and began to walk back to the car to get more while Wallene and I were a bit further down feeding the ponies.  Seems Charlotte didn't like that Pooldad had left so she decided to follow him. Through the fence, which gave way with the slightest touch of her massive chest.

CRACK!  The top board was gone and we were looking at an enormous animal that was now going to follow Dad. Yikes! Wallene started to run towards the barn office to let them know of an escape when Pooldad walked back up and nonchalantly said "Oh, don't think that was supposed to happen."

You think?

We kept them in the paddock area with a massive amount of carrots [and a bit of hand waving, eek!] until one of the workers arrived, jumped up on the second rail to block their escape and called maintenance on her walkie talkie.

Whew - Horse escape averted!

The funny line of the weekend was on the way home while we were talking about horses and Pooldad said about the trail ride he took on Charlotte, "You know what Skip?  I never realized my legs could spread that far."

heehee

Hope you guys had a great weekend. Sorry for the mess ups with the auto posts. I hit the wrong button - but whatever.  Have a great week and enjoy your Monday. Woohoo!

9 comments:

RVVagabond said...

Not touching Pooldad's line with a ten foot pole, nope.

That's a beautiful horse, though.

Jeannie said...

Charlotte's a smart horse. I hope the resort checks the rest of the fencing after that!

LOL @ Pooldad

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Sounds like another perfect weekend in the country. I haven't gone horseback riding in years, but the last time I rode, the horse I was on couldn't eat the apple I brought her. The poor thing didn't have a single tooth in her mouth.

ellen abbott said...

I could think of something really raunchy but I'll leave it to your imagination.

Southhamsdarling said...

Hi Skippy. Charlotte surely is a beautiful horse. I can just imagine your faces when she walked right through the fence to follow Pooldad! Hee Hee! Lovely story.

Teresa said...

what a beautiful horse! i haven't been horseback riding in years but i always did love it.

charlotte is one smart cookie.

Rudee said...

Not only is she beautiful, Charlotte is brilliant!

Greenmare said...

ho ho ho! I think it's better to have a horse want to break down the fence than to have a bull do that........... don't ask me how I know that!

CWMartin said...

Frankly, I think I'd ride Charlotte sidesaddle.