Monday, August 1, 2011

Can I Just Live There?

One of the chores was raking leaves from under the deck.
This made me laugh. heehee

We went back to the country house this weekend. It is the same place we took our vacation a week ago.  We had some outside chores to finish up but had to wait for the weather to break.  It was so cool and breezy this weekend we [ahem, Pooldad and Wallene] got them done in record time Saturday morning.

Woot! That meant we had rest of Saturday and Sunday to play.  We played two rounds of putt putt and the  gang went to the pool while I was home enjoying the view off the screened in porch and two really good books. We also spent time feeding the horses 5 lbs of carrots.

It is so peaceful in the country.  Besides the quiet, it is beautiful. Then there is the house. I LOVE the house.  Everything is on one level [with the exception of Wallene's sleeping loft] and within 10 steps of where I need to be at any given time.  I can do laundry whenever I want. I can shower whenever I want. [That one is huge btw] There are no stairs I have to maneuver, no long walk to the bathroom/kitchen/bedroom/living room/porch and did I mention the view? [I know I should post pictures and I will but my computer is down right now.]

Anyhoodle - I wish we could live there. Even Pooldad wishes we could live there. His parents want us to live there and have offered us the house to live in with nominal rent. Gotta love my in laws.

Sigh.  Unfortunately, the one thing that keeps us from moving is the commute for Pooldad.  It would be a little over 2 hours one way to his job.  He has already done this type of commute for our family when he worked in Arlington and I am not willing to have him on the road for 4 hours a day. It isn't worth it. Not only is it a long drive for work, but most of it is along country roads and with the price of gas I don't know how much we would save.  Mostly tho' it is the thought of him trying to make that drive twice a day.

There are no pool type companies in that part of the world and Pooldad loves the job he has [to a point] so it isn't as tho' he can just pick up and find another job.

Still, it is nice to DREAM about. :) Meanwhile I will be plotting our next trip back. heehee

Have a great Monday Tadpoles. It is going to be a fantastic week, can't you just feel it?

11 comments:

Jeannie said...

How fantastic. And heart wrenching. Maybe something will turn up one day that will make it work. I'd love to be out in the country too. I think summers at the cottage and then moving there as a teen made me unsuitable as a neighbor. I needs my space.

Teresa said...

it does sound heavenly. too bad that it is so far away from his job. but, at least there is a place to go and relax whenever you can get away.

ellen abbott said...

Sounds like a beautiful place. And I envy you your cooler weather. We're heading into a week of triple digits.

Rudee said...

What a funny picture. Very cute.

The cottage sounds perfect, and since living there isn't feasible, at least you can visit frequently. Sounds like a good solution.

Celia said...

I'm glad you had a good trip. Very funny picture.

Southhamsdarling said...

That house sounds just wonderful for your needs SkippyMom. You must feel great when you're staying there, and to have that fantastic view as well. Bliss my friend!! Such a shame that you can't move there, but, as you say, that's an awful long time for Pooldad to be on the road each day, especially in the winter. Perhaps something will turn up at sometime in the future. I do hope so! Hugs to you. (Oh, I am still awaiting my Smores!!!).

Diane Laney Fitzpatrick said...

But at least now you can say you have a "summer house." :)

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you've had a lovely weekend! I love the country side, and remember when I was in Virginia I found the country side so very nice :-) Was in Virginia Beach at the time and went for drives around some days. I agree, he shouldn't be out on the roads for that many hours.
I'm taking a journey towards the heat and the sun in a few days, we just get too little of it over here in Ireland. It rains..a lot lol!
Have a lovely Monday! (mine is almost over)

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Sounds to me like you have a great place to look forward to for retirement.

Yum Yucky said...

Yes, Skippymomma! I can feel the good week vibes! so glad you had a relaxing time. I need to chilll and relax myself. But, darn. I don't see that in my near future. Booo.

Julie said...

We have a saying here =- "what's for you won't go by you!"
Enjoy the house at weekends, on holiday and maybe..........
Just maybe magic will happen!!