Thursday, August 18, 2011

They're Not Tattoos Grandma, I Swear

When Squirrel came home last week she brought a henna kit with her.  It is a skin dye that is non permanent, but it does last for a few weeks.

Her and Wallene got busy and created these:
Squirrel & Wallene
Cool, huh?  Squirrel even did one on my wrist. Neat.

Since they were going to visit their Grandparents on Sunday I asked that they PLEASE wear tennis shoes or some such footwear so their Grandparents wouldn't be alarmed by the tattoo like appearance of their work. [

Yeah. Since when do kids listen to Mom?

Squirrel skipped out of here in a pretty dress and a pair of strappy sandals without me noticing.  Dad, who took them, was about as clueless.

God bless their great Grandmother.  She instantly noticed and complimented Squirrel on the artwork.  Grandpa wasn't quite so impressed and asked if it was permanent.  He was relieved to discover it wasn't and even more impressed when he discovered that Wallene had created the design on Squirrel's foot and Squirrel had done Wallene's as they were free hand [no stencil.]

I love having these guys home with me. It is never a dull moment.

Oh, and may I mention the "boyfriend" is driving down from Pennsylvania today to take Squirrel to lunch for her birthday?

It promises to be an interesting Thursday.  I am seriously considering making them take Wallene with them. 'Cause I am evil Skippy like that.

What?

Hope y'all have a great day.  Enjoy - it is going to be a great one, dontcha' know?

19 comments:

Lyndylou said...

Those henna tattoos are so lovely! I am with your girls on this, no point not showing it off!

Oh you are evil but that was my thought too! LOL

Carolyn said...

The henna artwork is beautiful! I had my arm done once a few years ago and wish I had taken a picture of it. Maybe I'll get myself a henna kit & try it again! Thanks for the pictures.

Tony Van Helsing said...

Is henna decoration a Hindu custom?

Jeannie said...

Nice artwork. My niece married a Pakistani guy so the ladies were all hennaed up before the wedding - very pretty stuff.

Tattoos aren't so very shocking here - can't say why. My mother doesn't love them but she doesn't bat an eye - she loved the henna though.

By "here" I mean our little region - not all of Canada or even Ontario - when our friends visited the other weekend, she was quite flummoxed by the large number of women with tattoos downtown - including older ladies - and while she lives in a small town (north of Toronto), she does large event planning all over and isn't exactly out of the loop. We have so many tattoo parlours around, it's insane.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Lovely! And temporary. I actually like the henna tatoos. Wish my girls had chosen those .....

Boyfriend, huh? Your little girl is growing up!

ellen abbott said...

oh, I've been wanting to do that for a long time.

Rudee said...

I love the henna, and the fact it's temporary. The green nail polish is a nice touch--such a pretty shade.

Makes me want a pedicure.

Celia said...

The henna looks beautiful!

Greenmare said...

what a great job! those are totally cool! they could come and do my feet! well one of my feet, the other has the dreaded permenant one on it already, but I love it so it's all fine. ;-)

Southhamsdarling said...

The girls did really well with their henna artwork. Quite beautiful. It must be so much fun having Squirrel home and I bet that Wallene loves it as well. Now then Skippy, I have to speak to you very seriously here (Hee Hee!)- so the boyfriend is coming, eh?! Now then, I want you to promise me that you will not try to embarrass Squirrel in front of him. I know your evil little mind! Happy Birthday to Squirrel.

Mustang Sally said...

I love henna art! I've wanted to try some for a long time but haven't had the means to do it. You're girls did a great job, very pretty.

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Wow! Your girls did those designs free hand? Verrrry impressive. (Bet I know where they got their talent ...)

CWMartin said...

I remember being the "Wallene" on my sister's date many moons ago. I don't know how she felt about it, but I got my first (and regrettably only) ride in a convertable AND an A&W float!

Juli said...

I have a real tattoo on my ankel that looks like henna. I love it, and I love even more that most people think it's not permanent.

On another note... your postal problem... You could either try complaining which may or may not work, but most likely your "Do not bends" will still be a crap shoot depending on who does your mail that day...

OR...

Buy a bigger box. It sucks I know, but they have rectangular shaped ones that lay "flats" (magazines and large envelopes) flat on the bottom, and they also have some really nice "large" sized boxes that fit most larger items well.

Good luck!

RVVagabond said...

It appears the girls have the "Skippy artistic gene". Truly fun stuff!

When you met the boyfriend did you squint at him with your bloody eye? Hee.

Anonymous said...

Wow - very creative patterns! That's a "tattoo" I don't mind. We always told our kids, get any kind of piercing, because you can always take it out - a tattoo is forever!

Happy Friday Skippy!

Anonymous said...

Lovely Tattoos - Good thing that they goes off though.
Must feel nice to have Squirrel home for a while ?
Have a lovely Saturday!

Hugs from Ireland :)

Juli said...

I'm back! :)

Yes. Make your own list of "Truths", then stop by and put in your URL.

Then feel free to click on the other names and see their "truths"

:)

Julie said...

Can't you just hear the evil cackling from my house!!! Yes - admit it - you can!!!
Evil is how we do it, but they will thank - no - get there own back on us in our old age!!!
As my youngest darling told me the other day "just remember who picks your nursing home mum!!!"