Friday, September 23, 2011

"Shag" Gets A Bath

Thank you Knitty for [temporarily] renaming our dachshund Shag. That made me laugh.

Every morning Pooldad lets the pups out in the back yard for their morning business.  They usually split up and go to opposite corners to potty. But.  .  .since it is our house and Pooldad had 10 minutes to leave for work, this morning Scooby followed Spot.

While Spot [the girl dog] was squatting Scooby [the boy dog] lifted his leg right over top of his little sister and well. . .relieved himself on top of her. Head to toe.

She shook, but um. . .that wasn't going to cut it. Pooldad grabbed a towel, picked up Spot and knowing he was cutting it close decided not to take her upstairs to the bathroom and the bathtub for a quick bath. It is 31 stairs up to the bathrooms as opposed to 5 steps to the laundry room. I do not blame him.

Noooo.  He carried her into the laundry room and started the washing machine.  He glanced on the shelves and saw powdered laundry detergent, liquid fabric softner and carpet cleaner.

Yep. He chose the carpet cleaner.  After getting Spotty sufficiently wet in the washing machine, he soaped her  up, rinsed her off and towel dried her. [No he didn't turn the spin cycle on, he just held her under the water. We don't have a wash sink in our laundry room.]  She actually smells pretty good.

I laughed so hard when he told me this story. It is just what we do I guess. And he didn't want to be late to work or send her upstairs pee soaked.  What a good guy.

Okay, that's my story. I am still feeling the effects of last weekend, so it was short today.

I hope you all have a nice, relaxing and happy weekend.  I am back to bed for the foreseeable future. [I love my bed.] See ya' next week!

18 comments:

Shelly said...

How funny! I wonder what she was more puzzled at- why her brother lifted his leg on her or why she was getting a soaking in the washing machine?

Celia said...

Well, I give him an A for effort.

Anonymous said...

What a funny story - it's always the thought that counts, isn't it? Wishing you a wonderful weekend also, hope you'll get plenty of time to chillax!

Patty said...

I would have never thought of getting water from the washer. The man is a GENIUS!

Rebecca said...

lol..sounds just like what a sibling would do and pooldad was a genius for thinking of the washer as a quick bath subsitute

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

Wow what a great guy my hubby would have laughed at it and left the dog for me to clean up............

Knitty said...

Great story! :)

We had a Labrador who didn't like to get wet. She had summer allergies that required medicated baths from time to time. Cleaning out the bath tub ( and entire bathroom) afterward was not fun so Bill decided to try the laundry tub.

Our laundry room is at the back end of the kitchen in an open floor plan, not a separate room. She tried climbing out on top of the washer. Bill got her back in the tub but had to take one hand off to add a rubber hose with a spray head so he could rinse her off. She saw this as her opportunity to get out of the tub. She partially dislodged the hose. Completely dislodging it would have meant the water go into the sink and down the drain. Partially meant it shot out at an angle, hit the side if a kitchen cabinet and ricocheted into the family room.

Cleaning up one bathroom in subsequent bathings no longer seemed so bad.

Rudee said...

What a great story for your rocking chair lineup of great tales to tell and tell again.

Poor Spot.

Elliot MacLeod-Michael said...

He should be applauded for his resourcefulness.

Crystal Pistol said...

Adorable! Sounds like something my husband would do.

He used to make me clean the dog goo but lately he has been helping so much more in that area. It's great. I got plenty of people goo to deal with as is!

Lyndylou said...

Ha ha it really wasn't Spot's day was it!? Really funny.

RVVagabond said...

Given the choices, it's a good thing you didn't have spot remover on the shelf.

Julie said...

ten out of ten for using his imagination!!!
I just won't let the boys read this post in case they decide to pee over Lou!!!!

Anonymous said...

That is hilarious! Skippy, I just saw the email for the two recipes you sent me last week - it got buried in my in box - thank you!

Get some rest! :D

Jeannie said...

Poor Shag - how humiliating. I just can't picture a dog fitting in my washer with the agitator.

Tony Van Helsing said...

Can't see the dog being too happy, they don't mind smelling of pee.

Juli said...

Serously wish I could do that with the kids sometimes.

I think a spin cycle may be the only thing that gets that permanent marker off them..

Vicki said...

Hahahahaha! That is so funny...I have 3 dachshunds. Maxwell is my big boy--he's 18-19 lbs. and 12 years old; Oliver--9 lbs.--is just about 5 months old now and Sabrina--5 lbs.--is approximately 4 months old...We got Sabrina and Oliver from the same breeder but they are from different litters--anyway, Sabrina was running around outside and she literally ran right under Maxwell and was peed on...It's happened to her twice because she loves to run around outside and she doesn't pay attentions to where she's going...did I mention that she's not too fond of baths either? LOL! Anyway, I loved your story and thought I'd share this one with you to hopefully put a smile on your face as well...=)