Friday, September 9, 2011

12 Mudslides And Counting . . .

The flooding here is off the hook.  This wasn't even a hurricane and our area [Virginia, Maryland and DC] has been so inundated with rain for the past six days they have closed schools and the major highways.

I have lived here for 40 years and I cannot recall anything like this.  We have had some bad hurricanes [Agnes, Isabel] but nothing like this rain.  Just RAIN! Jeesh.

Thank goodness it has now stopped.

Now the clean up begins.

In our little world that means Pooldad's customers.  "Pool" being the operative word in his name.  I talked to him this afternoon and he told me that they have [so far] 12 pools that look something like this:
stock photo
Mudslides, right into the pool.  They have to be drained, cleaned and refilled.  

I cannot even imagine what these poor people's homes look like.  I cannot imagine what most of our area looks like, except for what I see on the news and those images are crazy. 

I don't even know what to say.  I just hope everyone is okay and that you are able to salvage what is most important to you. Be safe.

Everything is cancelled this weekend, so it promises to be quiet. I hope wherever you are is safe, comfortable and dry.

See ya' on the flipside.

12 comments:

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

Bloody hell I am glad I am not living there I bet pooldad is going to be busy for a bit cleanning out all those pools.........rain and mud are just so yuck well I think so it is one thing to have to clean up when things are wet but when there is mud it is a much bigger job..........

Juli said...

The upside, I suppose, is that he's working.

The downside, holy heck, that's a whole lot of mess.

But I have to say, this was the first year I was actually concerned about our basement, especially since we FINALLY finished insulating the boys room. Thankfully, being so close to the beach, and having so much sand has saved us again!

Stay safe, and enjoy your time!

Jennifer said...

Wow! That's one awful looking pool. One thing your hubbz and mine have in common is that when the rain comes, they're off to save the day. My hubby is a roofing construction foreman in the maintenance and repair division at the company he works for, so when the weather hits hard like that the leak calls start pouring in (pouring...hehe...no pun intended. At least I didn't say he gets flooded with calls) and then we don't see him much for a few days. Hope Pooldad's week goes smoothly. Glad the rain stopped and ya'll can start drying out. Have a safe and happy weekend.

ellen abbott said...

I can commiserate. Although no mudslides. But Houston has recurrent floods with heavy rain and hurricanes and tropical storms.

Rudee said...

What a mess. Glad you are safe.

Anonymous said...

Hi Skippy,
I'm glad the rain has stopped. I can imagine there will be some very busy days for pooldad.
Have a nice Saturday!

CWMartin said...

I remember Agnes. She got up into Canada and pushed cold air into Indiana for weeks. Our swimming lessons got cancelled that year because of the temps. Hated that (rhymes with witch).

Celia said...

Yucky! I hope they pay him some overtime.

Southhamsdarling said...

Hi there Skippy. Gosh, that pool looks dreadful. It's pretty bad, isn't it?! Don't envy Pooldad and his people trying to clear up all those pools if they're all going to be like that! Presume that means that he is going to be working over the weekend - ? I know you won't like that my friend. Is Wallene's Bowling Party cancelled as well? I guess it must be. Thank goodness you weren't affected at all. It's terrible when you are flooded with all that mud. I've seen it so many times on the news over here, and the state that it leaves your house in, is just horrendous. You take care dear friend.

shanananana said...

That pool is my worst nightmare come true. We had some major flooding up here in Philly too. Even the main highway had a mudslide which shut it down for a day. I hope your area recovers soon!

Lyndylou said...

Mother Nature is a scary woman!

Rebecca said...

happy to hear you are all safe