Friday, January 16, 2009

Comfort Food

I am not going to talk about the weather. No matter how cold it is here, it is colder someplace else. I think the whole country is experiencing colder temperatures than any of us are used to.
~
As Mark Twain once said:
~
"Climate is what you expect. Weather is what you get."
~
I know we, in Northern VA, expect temps in the high 20's/30's this time of year, but like everyone else in our nation we are having 20 and 30 degrees shaved off our temps. I would like to add at least not one of us in tadpole land spent yesterday afternoon in the Hudson River, right?
~
I have two solutions: Layering and Comfort Food!
~
The layering is under control as Christmas was just here and we stockpiled hats, coats, gloves, scarves, snowpants, tights, socks and boots.
~
Onto the menu for the next few days, because I need something perking in my crockpot or roasting in my oven. I need the heat emanating off my appliances, warming my kitchen and the smells of goodness to keep me toasty.
~
Snack today is Spinach artichoke dip
Lunch will be chicken and dumplings
Tonight we are having crockpot beef stew with yeast rolls
Breakfast on Saturday will be crockpot oatmeal
Lunch on Saturday is Tacos with all the fixins' [this smells good, but no heat expended :(]
Dinner on Saturday is crockpot chili con carne with cheese, onion, sour cream and cornbread
Sunday brunch will be BLTs with either broccoli soup or butternut squash soup
Dinner on Sunday night will be Spaghetti with meat sauce, salad and garlic bread
~
I think that should fortify us until Monday when it is supposed to warm to our normal temps.
~
I hope you all stay warm this weekend. I pray that you receive the deliveries of propane, that your electricity doesn't fail and that all the lil' goat babies being born are warm and thriving.
~
And stay out of the Hudson River!

3 comments:

Yvo Sin said...

I took a photo of this morning's temp reading (on TV) for my area. Will post later. :(
Need recipes for everything you're talking about here because I was just gifted a crock pot. 3 weeks ago. I've made 3 things in it so far, not bad, 1 a week (bear in mind it's 6 quarts and I live alone, lol). Mmmm baby!

Gail said...

Hope you have some left over dumplings cause I am on my way!!!

Lunch Buckets said...

I need to learn how to make chicken and dumplings - that sounds soooo good. Not that I'm cold or anything, heck it was 80 on the drive home today. Can't even wear my stupid jacket home :)