Monday, October 4, 2010

Back Into the Swing of Things

I feel like I have done nothing but sleep for two days.  Not true as my comments around the interwebs will prove different, but I have just been so worn out.

Anyhoodle - now it is time to step back into life as the stop gap is over and time continues.....

I realized today I have way too much food in my house.  I think I went a little freaky the last two times we went shopping but I seriously have a lot of food.  I am not complaining, mind you...it is just weird.

For lunch tomorrow I made Wallene one of her favorites.  Since we had tacos for dinner tonight I used the  2 leftover soft flour tortillas [6" diameter] and layered each with a swipe of honey mustard, a leaf of lettuce, two slices of deli ham and shredded cheese.  I rolled them up and cut each in half.  It totals about two bites per piece or eight total.  Then I added carrot sticks, celery sticks, applesauce and a Reese's peanut butter cup for dessert with a Juicy Juice to drink.  It is such a pretty, fun [healthy!] lunch - makes me want to eat it tonight. hee

Pooldad received the leftover taco meat, shredded lettuce, cheese and tomato with the hard shells in his lunch.  For just three of us we can stretch out taco night pretty darn well.

Then tomorrow night I am making chili for dinner ::waving at Rudee - hi honey:: and we will use the shredded cheese, chopped onion and diced tomatoes for that.  I will also add sour cream and corn muffins to make it complete.

Next the chili will make it's way into Pooldad's lunch on Tuesday with the remainder to be served over baked potatoes, with cheese and sour cream for that night's dinner.  Family fav' right there - if you are ever trying to save money take leftover chili and serve it over pasta, rice or potatoes - it is really yummy and filling. In fact I find a whole lot of stuff to put over baked potatoes because they are one thing that I can eat the heck out of they are so good.

I have a pork roast planned for Wednesday with cabbage and potatoes which will turn into lunches on Thursday - roast pork sandwiches anyone? Oh yeah...with pumpernickel bread. Yum!

And then to wind out the week I have a boatload of chicken to cook up - leg/thigh quarters and bone in breasts.  I have just about everything in my pantry so could someone please tell me what to do with these - because I am bored with baked, bbq and chicken salad.  Actually I think I ate my weight in chicken salad this summer so - no.  Oh I do know one thing I am making - check out this recipe - it is so good - AMAZING - and I have all the ingredients except I have to make my own bread bowls [no biggie - if I get lazy I am going to Panera] It is called Chicken Cordon Bleu - but not like you think.  Check it out.  Biz is an amazing cook - if you want great, healthy recipes her's is the blog to watch. If you don't feel like cooking healthy meals then you can just scroll through Biz's pictures of her drool worthy food.  Don't go hungry. It is dangerous.

Any suggestions for the chicken would be greatly appreciated.

I also have all the makings for homemade pizza so ideas there would be fun too!

Thanks again Tadpoles.  You help me immensely.
Hugs and love.
Have a great Monday!

9 comments:

RVVagabond said...

Chicken/dumplings. Chicken/noodles w/mashed potatoes. Chicken tortilla soup.

Cat on arm. Can't type.

Jeannie said...

Hmmmm - teriyaki chicken? and use the skin and bones to make soup.

I do a lot of stir fries - even if I bake the chicken and serve it separate from the veggies and rice or noodles.

colenic said...

you could do a chicken soup...it's cold and icky here....and I am crazing chicken soup....or chicken stew....which is a little thicker and without the noodles...chicken and dumplings are always a fav of mine....lemon chicken cutlets _ cut the breast off the bone, pound the heck out of them, coat with breadcrumbs...pan fry with a little bit of oil and lemon juice...yumm...

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Beefed-up Chicken. Wrap a piece of dried beef and then a bacon slice around a chicken breast, put them in a casserole dish and cover it all with a can of cream of mushroom soup mixed with a cup of sour cream. Cook it slow at 300 in the oven for 3 hours. Tastes like smoked chicken. My family likes it with rice pilaf and roasted veggies. I chop up the leftovers and serve over noodles the next night. You can use beef in the cold section, like lunchmeat, but I like to use Hormel dried beef, it comes in a little jar, the flavor is more intense. It tends to be saltier, so I don't add any salt at all. I cut my bacon in half and use only a half strip and find the dish to be just as rich. I use low sodium soup, too, for he who has gout if I don't watch what he eats.........

OmaLindasOldeBaggsandStuftShirts said...

Chicken enchiladas, chiken n gravy over bisquits, chicken & veggie roll-ups,...I love chicken it is so versatile.
As to the homemade pizza fixin's, oh my...you're gonna have to pardon me if I skip over that. I am so sick of pizza anything around here. I swear that S and the kids never get tired of pizza. Every Friday night is pizza night and then they want the leftovers for breakfast at least two mornings a week....ick, pooo, nasty. Homemade pizza is different and I love to make that, they won't eat that, but right now the smell of all of it would gross me out.
Slow down outta the starting blocks okay? XXOO The Olde Bagg

Amy said...

Will you please come plan my menu for the week.

As for the chicken, I say chicken tortilla soup. I don't know if you have Claim Jumpers out there, but they make a GREAT tortilla soup. I searched a knock-off recipe on the internet once and it was fabulous.

Celia said...

I could be the court taster.

Michaela said...

Hey there SKippy girl, glad to know you are feeling better...exhaustion, I know it well. Wow, I am so impressed with your cooking skills! I would love to be a kid in your household. Can you adopt me? xxoo

Rudee said...

I can't think past breakfast, so your prodigious menu planning is quite impressive. Thankfully, the chili is finally gone so I can move on to something else.