Monday, August 26, 2013

Moving Check List

It has been a fun and productive couple of days.

Today Squirrel starts her senior year at James Madison University.  We went to see her yesterday, to celebrate her 21st birthday. As soon as I have pictures I will write about the most amazing burgers we have ever eaten. I am not kidding Tadpoles, these were some gooood burgers.

Tomorrow Wallene has orientation for her new school. I know she is a bit nervous, but, moreso I think she is excited.  She is excited for us [Mom finally has one level living and the home of her dreams] to start a new school and to decorate her new room. All those hours on Pinterest have paid off.  Again, when I have pics you will be the first to see it.

Funny note on back to school There has been such an outcry in recent years of the expense of required school supplies that the county we are moving to has instituted a new policy where the things needed has been pared down.  In High School it is so pared down it reads: Paper, pencils, notebooks.  This makes us happy because the expense is spared, and Wallene is happy because she can organize and take care of her notes/homework the way she wants. No more searching for a 1 inch, 1 1/2 in and 2 in binder for 3 different classes. Or having to write with a certain pen or pencil. Thank you Orange County. I knew I liked you from the start.

Steven found a moving company.  This makes me so happy,  you don't know.  I worry about him moving all of our stuff like he did, with Wallene, when we put it in storage a few months ago.  It will be a big relief to know someone else [someone we know, actually, who is a professional mover] and their crew will be moving our stuff.  The moving foreman went to our storage units with Steven in order to give us a quote.  When he saw how my husband had packed all our belongings he said "Nice job. You really put this in here well."  Steven looked at him and said "I want you to repeat that to my wife. Those exact words.  She is afraid I just threw everything in and ran."  Our friend laughed.  So two scores for my wonderful husband. Thanks honey! ::waving::

Finally - the utilities.  We no longer have to deal with Washington Gas! YIPPPEEEE! The criminal enterprise is out of our lives forever. This makes me happy.  So happy.  The water and electric hook ups went easy and will be turned on Friday. Which leaves us with. . . .::cue sinister music::

Cable, internet and phone.  Really?  Since when did this become such a hassle?  It took me 4 days and approximately 8 hours to finally set a date for installation. Sigh.  It isn't Verizon [how NOT surprised are you?], but the new company doesn't bode well if this is what I had to deal with throughout the weekend.  We only have two choices out here and I didn't want a dish hanging off the side of my house.  Heck, we're fortunate we can even get cable and internet, so I am not complaining.

Since Steven is at the height of the busy season at work [pool closings this go round] I was only granted one full day of his time.  He does have the whole holiday weekend off, but he can only take this Friday to coordinate and settle on the house.  Ah well, a girl can wish all she wants, but will take what she can get, eh?  Having been a Pool wife for all these years I knew the deal going into this move.   It won't be the first time we've had to coordinate around work while moving, but here's hoping it will be the last.

Boring, boring, boring. I know. Hopefully more fun posts will be in the making in the next week or so.

::smiling::

Internet is still tenuous at best, so we will see you on the flipside of whatever day we have it.  In the meantime remember to Smile Loudly. Life is a Gift! xo Janine

21 comments:

Mystic Mud said...

So excited for you! It will be a lot of,work, but just think.....you'll finally be HOME :)

Southhamsdarling said...

Not boring at all dear friend! We love reading about all your exploits. Wishing Squirrel good luck in her new school and I hope she makes lots of lovely new friends. Yay for OrangeCounty about the school supplies. So much more sensible. You should have known that Pooldad would have packed all your storage stuff just right. That's the kind of man he is!! In case you're not around on here again before you move, I hope it all goes well for you, without any hassles. May it all go smoothly for you. Remember to try to take it easy and not to overdo things at this time. Excited for you that you're moving to a lovely house in a lovely area. Thisisme is doing a happy Skippy dance for you!! Hugs.

Celia said...

It's such a pain to move. I'm hoping when you get into your house, you'll look back at this and laugh.

CWMartin said...

Let me know when you got everything set up internet wise, and I'll send you a big bloviating e-mail.

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

It's happening! It's really really happening! Before ya know it, you'll be settled into your new house and busily turning it into home sweet home. I can hardly wait to hear what yummy treat you cook there first. (You know how it is. A dog has his way of scenting his place, and so do we... think apples and cinnamon and all those other good smells.) 12:34

Gypsy said...

It's exciting to move to a new house, but very stressful at the same time. When I had TV they put up the DirecTV dish on my house and it didn't really bother me too much. It was either DirecTV , Dish, or AT&T Uverse. I don't like any of them so I don't have TV. Internet is a problem everywhere because the plans are so misleading and downright deceitful, plus exhorbitantly priced!

Lyndylou said...

Moving is scary but exciting at the same time! Can't wait to see pics of your lovely new house xxx

Anonymous said...

Not a boring post at all J - so exciting!!

And we had movers the last time we moved 13 years ago - the first time I moved with professionals and holy moly was it worth the $$.

Just direct them - that box goes in Bedroom #1, bedroom #2 - I actually marked all the boxes for where they belonged, and then put signs on all the doors - Bedroom #1 etc., so if I wasn't right there the boxes could at least end up in the right place.

ONE FLOOR LIVING! Best part of that whole post! :D

Jean said...

How great that well...so far, so good. Sort of.

I would not love moving at this point. I need to learn how to really purge. I didn't used to be this bad. Or maybe I was but just didn't have the stuff to pile up.

Juli said...

So glad he found a moving company... I was thinking those squirrels you were watching were never gonna be able to lift the couch. :)

lotta joy said...

I was so busy opening boxes, shoving things around, sweating like a pig, that I never took any photos. How I wish I had. It's the moving mess that makes for the best memories down the road.

ellen abbott said...

Finally getting caught up. Isn't it fun to move into a new house? I mean besides all the pack and lugging of boxes and furniture. I like the clean slate, the deciding where everything goes and fits.

life in the mom lane said...

Good luck with the move!!! *sending good thoughts!

Sherry said...


Happy for all of you.

Yum Yucky said...

I can't believe Squirrel is a senior now! How did this happen? Are you SURE we counted the years right? Please give Wallene a hug for me. Starting a new school can surely get the nerves going. The most expensive thing the high school here requires is a scientific calculator. They're well over $100. sheesh!

Anonymous said...

I hope today you are settled in your new digs!! Thinking of you!

lotta joy said...

I put up my last (probably) post today JUST to see if anyone shows up for the dinner bell.

Redhead said...

Hey there Skippy Mom...
Glad to hear that you move is, well, moving right along. I cannot imagine what moving from here would entail, thus our living here for 30+ years. If I had it to do over again...

So blog here when you can, it isn't boring at all. Take care.
Redhead aka Marilyn

Redhead said...

Hey there Skippy Mom...
Glad to hear that you move is, well, moving right along. I cannot imagine what moving from here would entail, thus our living here for 30+ years. If I had it to do over again...

So blog here when you can, it isn't boring at all. Take care.
Redhead aka Marilyn

Tony Van Helsing said...

Never a dull moment with you.

Lincoln Madison said...

Channel Comms are a Business Phone Service provider for small, medium and large businesses. Our office phone system solutions include business VoIP phones, phone lines for business, IT services and corporate phone systems.