Friday, August 9, 2013

Can You Vacuum A Garage?

And other questions preying on my mind while living in our temporary digs.

The home where we are staying  has an enormous two car garage.  On one side is Ozcarz and the other is all the stuff we couldn't fit in storage we knew we needed for our foray into living in someone else's home for a few months.

There is just one teensy, tiny problem.

The garage is carpeted.

I did type that correctly.

IT IS CARPETED. 

I don't get this and I know, without a doubt, that my beloved in laws [part owners of our free housing] had nothing to do with the carpeted garage.  I am not going to point fingers or name names, but it is probably the same relative who has systematically labeled every light switch, cabinet shelf and bottle of spice in this house.

I have no earthly idea what to do with the carpet in the garage.  I mean, I guess I appreciate it because gee. . . . isn't Ozcarz all comfy with his tires [and 3,000 lb body] sitting on Berber?

But at some point this has to be cleaned. 

We live in the country. We are tracking in all manner of leaves, twigs, bugs and dirt. Onto that carpet.

I am beginning to realize that vacuuming the garage is in my imminent future.

Right?

It's just that I am going to feel really stupid moving my car out of the garage to run the Hoover around all the metal cabinets [labeled] and shelves [again, labeled] storing decades worth of oils, paints, golfballs and gas cans [all labeled].

I love to keep their home in great condition, as we are basically squatters due to their largesse, but I don't know Tadpoles.

I don't think I can bring myself to do it.

Other things on my mind while living here:
  • Why does my neighbors' A/C run 24 hours a day even when it is 50 degrees outside and they are gone for the weekend? It's a dual and I cringe to think of the electric bill. What are they doing storing dead bodies? 
  • Speaking of being gone for the weekend, who takes care of their dogs while they are away? They have three big dogs and we know they are left here [the howling. omg the howling] but no one comes to feed them or let them out. Well, at least the A/C muffles the Call of the Wild.
  • Which wild animal decided it needed my cellphone more than I do?  I haven't been able to find it for a week. This house is small, especially because we are only using half of it [plus the carpeted garage!] but I cannot locate it anywhere. You know the thing is in a burrow somewhere.
  • Why did a deer run into the screened in porch last night at 2 am and scare the crap outta' me? I heard trip, bang, slam and then her hooves pounding off into the distance  I had all of the flood lights on after that.  Must've been quite a party for the ladies.  Juniper berries anyone?
  • Tomorrow we narrow the house search down to three.  We will take the kids back to those three help us decide on the one we will offer on Sunday.  If you could see my face right now you would notice it's me. . .not caring.  I would rather just throw all of them in a hat and let the dog pick.  Although I would rub a piece of baloney on the slip of paper that said "Blue house." hee

[Yep, even I am getting tired of hoping for a house. But I do like this one.]

That's all I got for today.  Hope y'all have a great weekend. See ya' on the flipside. xo Janine

20 comments:

colenic said...

Well...I don't know about the carpet in the garage...that's kind of....oddd...

But I will be excited for you on the house WIIIIIPPPPPPPEEEEE>...Skippy's gonna have a new house to decorate and make a home...which i know will be beautiful...
hugs my friend...good luck!!

Southhamsdarling said...

Hi dear friend. I certainly like the look of the house in the photo. I wish you well for Sunday, and do hope that you can ALL agree on the same house, so that you can get into your own home as soon as possible. Carpet in the garage, eh?! Did they keep a car in there? What if they had an oil leak? Oh my, oh my, that's very strange I must admit. Still, as long as Oscar is all nice and snug out there, that's the main thing!! I hope he realizes how lucky he is!! Seems as if there is a bit of obsessiveness going on there somewhere, what with all the labels and that! Oh well, at least it made for a humorous blog post dear Skippy! Enjoy your weekend and do let us know if you do manage to decide on a house!! Hugs x

CWMartin said...

Why did a deer run into the house... to see if you had any more cell phones laying about!

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

That blue house is adorable. I hope it works out for you.

Carpet in the garage is pretty weird. Kinda like a friend of ours who had carpet in his workshop. Where he was supposed to like... work. You know, build, saw, paint, and solder, that kinda stuff. Messy stuff. On carpet? I'm glad I never had to clean it. I'm glad I don't have to clean your garage carpet, either. No offense. Bad enough trying to keep concrete clean in garages and workshops.

Thar deer? She probably just wanted to make a telephone call, and hadn't yet gotten word that someone else had already taken your phone off to the woods.

Take care. I hope you have a super weekend. 12:34

ellen abbott said...

I've never seen carpet in a garage. I have seen a concrete floor in a garage/workshop that was painted bright orange. Bright shiny orange.

Juli said...

I have vacuumed my garage. And it's not carpeted. It's the only way to keep all the grass seed accounted for so we don't get mice. (for the record it's a detached garage, or we wouldn't store ANYTHING that would attract mice, much to Mr. Chewey's disappointment.)

When the dumpster arrives (someday) I will vacuum it again... Can't stand the cob webs.

Julie said...

Hope you choose the right one for you!

Jean said...

A carpeted garage is about the stupidest thing I've ever heard of. Unless you have made it into living quarters but then there'd be no cars in it. Are you sure it's okay to have the car in there?

I hate when cellphones take on a life of their own.

I vote for the blue house. I do get a vote right?

Anonymous said...

Carpet? In a garage? So strange! But I bet Oscarz feels like a kind in there though!

I spit my coffee out when I read that you'd rub a piece of bologna on the slip of paper that said "blue house!"

Surprised its a two-story - can I assume that it has a first floor master bedroom?

Fingers crossed, they always are for you my dear. Hugs and love, Biz

Mystic Mud said...

I'm sorry, but I keep trying to picture a carpeted garage, and I think I'm doing a pretty good job.....but man would I LOVE to see a pic of it. I mean, I'm 40 years olds and I've never heard of such a thing and I'm betting I could go another 40 years without hearing of it again....so this....you and your carpeted garage....... could be like a once in a lifetime opportunity!!!! Think about it - seriously....THIS could be what makes your blog go viral!!!.....lol.....but I REALLY would like to see a pic, and if you DO vacuum it I REALLY want to see a pic, so get Pooldad to capture that Kodak moment for us ;)

And as long as you're posting pics....maybe throw one in of the person that had carpet laid in the garage....that might even be more priceless than the actually garage.....lol!!!!

OMG....I'm so obsessed with your garage now.....can I come visit and see it for myself? I'll bring some peach pie filling so that we can make peach pie!!...We can eat it while sitting in the garage admiring the carpet....lol!!!!

I'm gonna stop now......before I make a (bigger) fool of myself!! I love you, and your garage :) misch!!!!

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Carpet in a garage ..... makes me think of a house we rented once with carpeted bathrooms. Maybe they were thinking of the carpet like a giant door matt to keep from tracking so much inside?

Jason and Michelle said...

My husband wants to know if Oscarz area is labeled?
I vacuum my garage, only because we get BIG spiders ( yuk!)

Linda said...

The house I am in right now had indoor/outdoor carpet in the den from the back door, down the hall to the front door and even running into the bathroom. They did not cut it to put a piece in the bathroom. They just laid it into the bathroom still attached to the hall carpet. ewwww I could not wait to get that up.

Celia said...

When I was house hunting, I went to house that had carpet in the bathroom and kitchen. Ewww! But carpet in the garage, never heard of it. The picture of that house is lovely! Does it have a walkout basement? Cute!

lotta joy said...

I'm more concerned with the neighbor leaving their dogs for days on end. I'd find the raccoon that stole my phone and place a call to the cops or rescue league about the animals. You might have to speak into the raccoon's butt to be heard, but I'd be caught trying.

I imagine they keep the house cool so the poop doesn't stink while they're gone.

I vacuumed my garage floor until I realized it was a GARAGE. There was a momentary fad back in the 70's where some people carpeted their garage floors and laid plastic runners down for the car tires.

I'm here from Mystic Mud.

The Writer said...

honestly i think with the cell phone gone, the large bang at night (deer my as...) and the freezing temperature you got yourself neighbors, who are committing murders. think about it. what's under the carpet? who puts carpet in a garage who isn't covering something up? it's genius. think about it.

Unknown said...

I don't think carpets are appropriate for the garage. Cars are usually parked in a garage, so carpets won't be of any good other than making a big living room out of it. Already found a new house? Must have been a huge cleanup task before you moved in and after. Thanks for sharing!

German Zollinger

SkippyMom said...

Actually German, it wasn't hard to clean up at all. We used the leaf blower and all the detritus came right out.

Granted cars are parked in that particular garage, and there is some dirt and grease damage, but since it isn't being used as an extended living room or such - it was fine.

Thank you for your comment. I see you work in the flooring industry. Interesting.

Robert said...


Thank you for helping people get the information they need. Great stuff as usual. Keep up the great work!!!
bed spray liner

Ash Green said...

Wow :)
This is an incredible collection of ideas!
Waiting for more helpful pieces.
You would amazing to read a similar one here-
besttoolsbrand