Monday, July 30, 2012

Free For All!

I love free.  Free is good.

But the thing I like best?  A sodium free cookie.
Now what do those look like to you?  If you said "Peanut Butter Cookies" I award you. . .well, an internet cookie!

These cookies are not only sodium free they are also gluten free and. . .[drumroll] NUT free.

Yep - the best part is they are delicious and taste just like peanut butter cookies. And  I wouldn't kid about that Tadpoles. They are my favorite cookie.

We went out Saturday in search of sodium free baking soda and baking powder, which do exist. SCORE! But evidently not in Sterling VA. BOO! So I had to order them over the interwebs. YAY for the Health Market and their 10% discount, All of that is neither here nor there when I stumbled upon this:
Courtesty of: www.peabutter.ca

It is called "No Nuts" and it is nut, peanut, sodium and gluten free. Go them!  And since I didn't use any flour in the recipe - bonus - it was still gluten free!

My only health concern, obviously, is sodium - but nice to know I can take it a couple of steps further.  If you leave off the chocolate drizzle it is even dairy free! Woot

Making them couldn't be easier.

Easy PEAsy PEAbutter Cookies
1 cup of peabutter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg - Eggs do have sodium, but I used two yolks [6 mg of sodium per yolk] and the end result was too nominal too count as sodium content.  Most of the sodium in eggs is in the whites.
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Mix all ingredients together well.  For the bigger cookies take one rounded tablespoon - small cookies one rounded teaspoon - and roll into a ball. Place on ungreased cookie sheet.  [I rolled mine in cinnamon sugar, but you don't have to]. Dip a fork in sugar and crisscross the tops of the cookies pushing down slightly.

Bake large cookies for 16 minutes, small for 8 minutes.  Let cool completely on cookie sheet before removing to paper towel.

For the chocolate drizzle/dip:
Melt one cup of semi sweet chocolate chips with one tablespoon of shortening in microwave. [2 min on 70 %] Stir well to make smooth.  Dip cookies or pour chocolate in a pastry bag or sandwich bag, cut the tip off and drizzle!  Oh, I almost forgot - place dipped cookies on a baking pan covered in wax paper or place plain cookies on same pan and then drizzle.  Refrigerate until firm.

Like I said, so easy.

I haven't been having too many good days lately, sorry, but it helps not to dwell on it or talk about it. Recipes and pictures of food are so much more fun, dontcha' think?

I'll try to see ya' on the flipside, but if not - hopefully it is because I finally fell asleep. heehee Know I think of y'all often and miss you.

Make it a great one Tadpoles!

13 comments:

ellen abbott said...

no nut peanut butter. what is it made of?

Tracy said...

That's my question too. How the heck do you make peanut butter with no nuts?

Jeannie said...

Those do look good enough to eat! I don't have to worry about using real peanut butter at all - no one with that allergy around any more (there was one of Graeme's girlfriends but that was long ago) It's been a while since I made peanut butter cookies. I'm not sure my kids were big fans anyway or I'm sure I'd have made them more often. They still love the chocolate chip and Cara loves the oatmeal - which is my favourite.

Sorry it's been hard for you lately. Let's hope for some good days real soon.

Sally said...

I hope you put some of these in a little plastic bag and mailed them to me :) jk. I am going to be on the lookout for some of this, though. Nuts tend to give me a stomach ache and I think I get sick if I eat too much peanut butter. This would be a great alternative, though, for those times when I would like to have peanut butter and toast.

Southhamsdarling said...

Those cookies certainly look the part, and I'm glad you enjoyed them, with all the ingredients that are right for you. So sorry to hear that you're not having too many good days at the moment. What can I say? All I can do is to send you these virtual hugs, and know that you are always in my prayers. I'm still praying for that miracle my beautiful friend. Take care and keep strong.

Tony Van Helsing said...

I've never even heard of Peabutter.

Unknown said...

Mmmm...those cookies looks very yummy. Sending lot's of Hugs your way, hoping that they will make you feel somewhat better.

CWMartin said...

I might have chosen a better name for their product...

SkippyMom said...

Believe or not brown peas. And you can eat it straight of the spoon and it does taste like peanut butter and no funky after taste.

Unknown said...

Love your recipes, keep em coming. Thanks! Hope you will have some good days coming up.

life in the mom lane said...

They look yummy! any idea ow many calories per cookie?

Giancarlo said...

Felice giornata a te...ciao

Teresa said...

those look really good. especially no sodium. ron would love those so will have to give it a try sometime.

i think of you daily and wish you nothing but the best. love that you fill us up with wonderful recipes.