The picture makes them look cheesy.
[Please note these are scalloped potatoes, not au gratin, so they are made without cheese.*]
5 large white potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
3/4 cup chopped onion
3 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup flour
1 3/4 cups chicken broth [low sodium if you like]
2 tablespoons mayo
1/8 teaspoon pepper
3/4 teaspoon salt [I omit]
Preheat oven to 325 degrees
1. In 2 1/2 quart casserole dish layer half of the potatoes.
2. In skillet melt butter. Saute onion in butter until soft and translucent.
3. Add flour and stir until well mixed.
4. Add chicken broth. Stir until thick and bubbly. Stir in mayo and s & p.
5. Pour half of mixture over potatoes.
6. Layer remaining potatoes in dish. Pour remaining mixture evenly over potatoes.
7. Sprinkle top liberally with paprika.
8. Cover. Bake for 2 hours or until tender.
These will be very tender after 2 hours.
*If you would like cheesy "au gratin" potatoes you may melt shredded cheddar or velveta in with the mixture after it has thickened. A cup to 1 1/2 cups should make it cheesy.