Saturday, December 31, 2011

Orchestrated by Mom, Made by Dad

We had a visit from "the boyfriend" on Friday. He is Squirrel's friend that she met while interning last summer.  They have been dating for five months and he roadtripped to visit her for Christmas yesterday. [They attend different colleges - in different states.]

He is such a nice, polite and kind young man.  He's a cutie too. :)  We really are happy for Squirrel because they just seem like such a great couple.


  
He arrived at 11 and took Squirrel to lunch.  Afterwards they came home and watched movies with Wallene while Dad made dinner. [I have to give the boyfriend big credit - he actually sat through a few episodes of "Nicktoons" with Wallene. THAT is definitely taking one for the team.]

Since I had been upright most of the morning I ended up in bed [flat] for the rest of the day - hence why Dad made dinner. :D

I had split pea soup on the menu, but it is not something Pooldad had ever made before.  It isn't the hardest dish, it just has a lot of steps to it.  Also, split pea soup is either something you like or you don't - there is really no in between, so I was taking two chances with it:  feeding it to a guest and not making it myself.

Why do I even worry? Psssh.

1.739 hand written directions [from bed] later - Pooldad served up the perfect bowl of soup, with a salad and fresh bread.  And we don't think the boyfriend was merely being polite by having 2 1/2 bowls. :D  He really seemed to enjoy it. Yippeee!

It is 4:40 am here and I have a few hours in which to entertain myself while I wait for our day to get started.  We are taking Wallene to the mall today for new clothes.  She has grown quite a bit since the beginning of school and has outgrown almost all of her pants.*  The sales look to be great, so I am glad we waited until after Christmas.  I am actually kind of excited to see how many deals we can find. [I can't believe I just said that either.  I think I need a little bit more sleep. heehee]

Hope y'all are enjoying your weekend and have a safe and happy New Years.


*Yes, I am destined to be the shortest in my family. sigh. Not fair, considering I am 5'8. Darn kids.

14 comments:

Southhamsdarling said...

Hi Skippy. Wow! I didn't know you were 5'8" That's the same height as my two daughters, and the granddaughter is getting there very rapidly. At just over 5' (well, I've always said that I'm 5'2"!), I really am the little titch of the family. It's a right pain when you're out, especially in the supermarkets when you want to reach something from the top shelves. Well done to Pooldad for coming up with the perfect soup - I've said it before, and I'll say it again - what a keeper he is! Good that Squirrel's boyfriend is such a nice young man. Hugs to you and your lovely family, and I hope you all have a super evening tonight.

Jennifer said...

I must say, your daughter and her new beau make a beautiful couple. It is pretty awesome that he sat through nictoons with Wallene. Maybe son-in-law material? Think of what pretty grandbabies they would make! Okay, I'll shut up now. hee...

That Pooldad sure is something else.nI love split pea soup!...and with salad and bread...my mouth is watering. Yes, I would actually happily eat it for breakfast.

Hope you guys have a happy and safe new year.(:

Rudee said...

Mmmm. Love pea soup!

Happy New Year to you and your lovely family, Skippy!

Celia said...

What's with these kids. My Lydie is already 5 feet and wears my shoes. Pooldad is great!

Tracy said...

You must have written very good directions. I have found if you do that, men do pretty good cooking.

Hope you find lots of great deals. Enjoy the rest of your time with Squirrel. It goes fast doesn't it?

Teresa said...

i love split pea soup but i've never made it. the new beau is a real cutie - that's for sure.

i didn't realize we were the same height. amy is the shortest in my family. lol - she was my longest baby and is the shortest by a couple of inches (me) and by several inches when compared with the boys. my shortest baby (keith) is the tallest (6'3")

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year my friend! Have a fantastic weekend and New Years Eve with your family. Big hugs from Ireland!

Jeannie said...

Yay for Pooldad! I didn't realize there were that many steps to split pea soup. hmmm. Maybe yours is better than mine. Or maybe I never broke it down.

So many people have never had homemade soup that it's a genuine treat when they do. Real food is yummy.

My baby hit the sales the other day and did very well. I would go but I don't need anything and I hope to drop many pounds so buying to fit now would be a waste. Buying to fit later is pretty dicey.

I'm a shorty @ 5'3.5" but I am the tallest woman on both sides of the family. I feel like an Amazon in a gathering.

Anonymous said...

Before the sun goes down over 2011, before the net goes down due to overload, before I lose my mind, before I go too drunk and lose my phone - Happy New Year! I wish you the best 2012.

Love
Daniel

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

Ok were to start I guess with Happy New Years to you and then we will move onto spilt pea soup I love spilt pea soup but I am the only one in the family who does so we do not have it.......for being the shortest in the family well I was going to say I am the shortest in my family but then I remembered my daughter Natasha is in fact the shortest as she is only 4'7" and I am 4'11".

Rebecca said...

have a happy new year and yes they do make a cute couple

Anonymous said...

Split pea soup is one of Tony's favorites - I am not much of a fan, but I think I'll have to make him a pot!

HAPPY NEW YEAR MY FRIEND! Here's to good health and no more hospital stays!

Hugs!

Juli said...

Oldest is 11. He is 5 feet tall.

I am 5'4" and 37 years old.

I am doomed to never reach the top shelf in the kitchen.

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Happy New Year!!!!