Sunday, January 30, 2011

Happily Worn Out

What a great day!

We left Saturday morning at 10:30 to visit Squirrel at college. As Mynx can attest to I hadn't slept all night and by the time I said goodbye to her we were on the road.
Side not - never ask an Australian for a cookie recipe at 4 am.  Useless - they have weird stuff over there [sugar syrup - what the heck], and honestly?  Who keeps coconut on hand all the time?  [Don't answer that Bizzy and all you other amazing cooks.]  It is simply not a staple in our house.

And Mynx I am keeding. Keeding, I swear.  Dang anzac cookies.  Which I now want. [Yes, I did buy coconut today on the way home, why do you ask? ::wink::]


Okay...so ignoring my digression - we arrived in Harrisonburg at 12:45 and greeted Squirrel with squeals, hugs and a rug. :)  Her Dad found an area rug in our garage during his "Great Garage Excavation of 2010" [who knew we had one and where it even came from?] and we took it down for her.  She was tickled.  So were we because we didn't have to buy one. Bonus! It is brand new too. YAY!
The girl was so excited she did this:

And this [which concerned Wallene]:
It was so much fun to hang out, go to lunch and do a little shopping.  Shopping was interesting tho' since I was so worn down and in pain we skipped Wal Mart [the parking lot was PACKED - it looked like Christmas] and Pooldad was nice enough to zip us over to CVS.  You can find some good deals and neat stuff in the drug store Tadpoles let me tell ya'.

It wasn't long enough by any means and I fell asleep hard on the way home and after we returned home ["Just get me to the loveseat sweethea....zzzzzz....." It was just like that. Done!]

But I wouldn't give up those 4 hours with our girlie for sleep or a cookie.

14 comments:

not displayed said...

I am going to remember to ignore you next time you ask for cookie recipes @ 4 am. Unpacked some of my cook books this morning. Cant wait to get back to baking.
Let's not talk crazy ingredients Miss Maple Essence. Lol. Golden Syrup is a staple in most pantrys here.
So glad you had a wonderful time and even got to snooze.
Hugs

Lyndylou said...

spending time with your daughter must just be one of life's greatest pleasures :) Glad you got some sleep though

Southhamsdarling said...

We have Golden Syrup over here in England too, so I don't see the problem Skippy! LOL! So glad you got to spend that time with your Squirrel. Look at her face in the first photo - she is SO excited!! Not sure how she managed to make that face in the second photo, so I can see why Wallene is looking so concerned! I was sorry to hear you were in pain though., and I expect you were exhausted by the time you got home, but so worth it, eh?! Hopefully that will now keep you all going until the next time. Hugs to you from across the pond dear friend.

BB said...

So glad you had a good trip to see Squirrel. Sounds like you had some fun. Glad you got out and I can understand how you were wiped out. Hope you get rested up and then you can bake me Yiddish Cookies...hahaha. Hugs and Love.

Jeannie said...

Babe - we have corn syrup! Or many homes keep table syrup (sugar!) on hand for pancakes. Maple syrup. Honey. (I may have all of the above in my kitchen as we speak.) And I think I do have coconut too. It's essential for my oatmeal cookies when I get the urge.

Unknown said...

Great visit and rest, good combination.

colenic said...

Squirrel looks quite excited to see you....I am glad that you had a good day and were able to get some sleep....hugs to you

Phelan said...

Completely off subject, because I am in a mood. I wanted to publicly acknowledge how much I admire you. That your friendship, however limited do to distance, means so very much to me. I want to apologize for not leaving as many comments as I should but that I read everything that you post. In my heart you are my hero because of your struggles and overcoming so many obstacles with as much poise as humanly possible. Because of the type of mother, wife and friend that you are.

Thank you

Unknown said...

I have read your wonderful comments on so many of the blogs I follow I thought it was about time I came over to see you. Now I am truly sorry that I haven't done so sooner! Boy, have I missed out. Oh well, now you won't be able to get rid of me :D
Oh, and I have never heard of Golden Syrup before today... see...I have been missing out!

Celia said...

Glad your trip went well! The drug store can be a life saver.

Rebecca said...

so happy you had a great trip and what great pictures

life in the mom lane said...

I am so happy to hear you had a GREAT time!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good day Skippy! And btw you can call me Marigold if you like! <3

I love the faces too haha.

Did you tell them that you have an unofficial adoptive daughter?

http://theadorkableditzmissteps.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

That rug looks like one I had in an apartment about 25 years ago...was wondering what happened to it *grin*.