Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Sweet Sound in the Middle of the Night



Don't you dread the phone ringing in the middle of the night? Nothing good has ever come of these phonecalls, I know. Someone is hurt, someone is dying or someone has died.
~
Not last night. I knew why my phone was ringing at 11:30 pm.
~
The girls went to spend part of Spring Break at their Grandparents' home. I must have received a bazillion kisses from our youngest, Wallene**, before she left. She was convinced that it wasn't a good idea to leave me alone for a few days; that I would be too lonely and she was worried about me if I fell or wouldn't be mobile enough to take care of myself [hey, it happens. Lupus sucks at this stage]. I assured her it would be okay and to go have a great time. She deserves [as does her sister] to be spoiled and pampered by their Grandparents
~
I finally scooted them out the door. And she was right. I am terribly lonely without them here, but it is okay. They are having fun. Wallene promised she would call and wish me goodnight, "not to worry Momma, I will call you."
~
She was falling asleep around 11:30 pm last night when she realized that she had, indeed, forgotten to call me. She sat up and told her older sister that she was going to sneak in the kitchen and call. Her sister told her to go back to sleep and be quiet that I would understand that it was late. [Her sister was right....but....]
~
Nothin' doin'. My pup got up and called me.
~
I heard the phone ring and knowing it was her I jokingly answered "Hey, what took you so long?"

"Oh Momma, I am so sorry...I forgot." [she was whispering so as to not wake anyone up]

"Sweetie, that is okay - you shouldn't worry so much. I knew you were thinking of me."

"I know, I was, but are you sure Momma? Are you okay?"
~
I assured her I was fine and then we sang "our" little duet. It is a Beatles' song that I used to sing to her when she was a baby and was sick. It would settle her and over the years I have sang it for her often [poorly, I might add] and she has memorized the words. It is one of her favorite songs.

Close your eyes and I'll kiss you.
Tomorrow I'll miss you.
Remember I'll always be true.
And now, while you're away I'll write home everyday and I'll send all my loving to you.
~
Then she said, "Momma that was the song I was listening to that made me miss you even more and it told me I forgot to call."
~
I will take this late night phonecall anytime.

~
**credit to Bulletholes for renaming my daughter :D

5 comments:

RVVagabond said...

Those are the memories that will last forever. What a sweet child (apparently accident-prone, but sweet).

Thank you for my morning "awww" moment.

Marni said...

So sweet... makes me tear up just thinking about it.

I always sing My Girl to Bug. I always think of her when I hear it.

bulletholes said...

i used to sing "Wake Up little suzie" to my daughter in the morning. She loved it for a while...then it drove her NUTS!

Does she like her new name?

Coffeypot said...

You know they were haveing a good time and staying busy if she forgot to call. That's a good thing, too. But there is nothing sweeter than hearing that little voice over the phone. One of my favorite sounds is to hear Bug or J-Man say, "Hey, PawPaw."

Yvo Sin said...

:) That brought tears to my eyes. My dad used to sing that song often... we sang in the car a lot.