Friday, July 29, 2011

Riddle Me This Tadpoles

Please?

I have a question and I figure all you smarty pants out in the pond will either know the answer or have heard of this particular allergy.  Goodness knows I haven't and I am finding it hard to believe as it makes no sense to me.

While reading a review of one of my favorite crab shacks the other evening I noticed one of the reviewers mention that he couldn't eat at this particular establishment because they only served Chesapeake Bay Blue Crabs and....he was ALLERGIC to anything that came out of THE CHESAPEAKE BAY.  He stated he could eat shellfish all day long from other parts of the states [Florida, Texas, etc.], he wasn't allergic to that, it was only the crabs, oysters and fish that are caught in the Bay that cause his allergies.

HUH?

I have never heard of a water specific allergy such as this and I don't understand how it could even be diagnosed, let alone monitored close enough to be safe to eat any seafood in our region. [Our area gets a lot of our fresh seafood from the Chesapeake Bay - it's pretty close]

Have you guys ever met anyone who has this type of allergy?  Do you know how it would be diagnosed?  Or is this guy just using his preference for not eating anything from the Bay to claim he has an allergy?

I would appreciate any insight into this and it doesn't have to be specific to the Chesapeake Bay - any body of water allergy story is fine - I just am really curious and I bet someone out there knows. Thanks!

Have a great weekend y'all!  See ya' on the flipside. :)

12 comments:

Phelan said...

More than likely it is a specific pollutant that is causing his allergic reaction (algae, medical waste, strawberries) that is found in concentrate in that area.

That or he is just a foodie that looks down on the Bay as white trash feed. :D

sapphireblue said...

I wonder is there is a particular bay plant that would cause that. I've never heard of something like that.

ellen abbott said...

My first thought was the same as Phelan, some pollutant specific to the Bay that is absorbed by the shellfish.

mybizzykitchen.com said...

That's weird, I have never heard of such a thing, but my Aunt who grew up eating shellfish suddenly became allergic in her 30's - so weird!

your comment today made my day Skippy! :D

Patty said...

I'm no doctor... but that sounds sorta like a Snob-Scam to me. Put a smile on my face though... the things people think of.

Jeannie said...

Well, I am allergic to the water in Iron Bridge, Ontario. Not the water really as in H2O but the minerals in it - very high in nickel - I am allergic to nickel and therefore the water in Iron Bridge. Probably Sudbury too and maybe the entire Northern Ontario region. I don't go there.

So, it could be various pollutants or perhaps a mineral in the water shed that drains into Chesapeake Bay. Or maybe he knows something you don't and doesn't want to start a panic.

I also can't drink certain beers or wines which makes me appear to be a snob.

I would just take the guy's word on it whether it is a preference or an actual allergy. He's entitled to put only what he wants in his body.

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Sounds pretty bizarre to me. I grew up on the shores of the Chesapeake, and have never heard of anything like this before. Doesn't mean it isn't possible, though. It's been many years since I fished, crabbed, etc. in the waters of the Chesapeake, and there could certainly be some pollutant or mineral in there to which this fellow is sensitive. Probably best to try not to raise you eyebrows too much in disbelief, and give the dude the benefit of the doubt.

Eva Marie said...

Good evening!
I have never heard of such allergy - could be some pollutant specific to this place, maybe...

Wishing you a lovely weekend too!

Julianna said...

I'm thinking the same lines as a polutant or bacteria.

I had a friend who passed away at 22 from a bacteria he got in Boston Harbor (It setteled in his heart and no one knew he had a murmor).

Who knows. Stranger things have happened.

I have a gluten allergy. Years ago we just thought I was a crazy lightweight, not even being able to handle two sips of beer without getting sick.

Now Celiac/ Gluten allergies are main stream.

Jo-Anne Rambling said...

Strange indeed yeah maybe something in the water that is causing his allergy but if it is just the shell fish and not all seafood from the area then it sounds too fishy......

Thisisme. said...

Hi Skippy! Sorry I'm late in replying. As you know, I suffer from pretty nasty allergies, but I just don't see how this can possibly be true. An allergy from one specific area - huh!? Sorry I can't come up with a clever answer for you!!

Julie said...

Mmmm - sounds a tad(pole!!!!) suspect. I've never heard of being allergic to a specific body of water, but i suspect - as others have mentioned that maybe something in or around may be responsible.
Paul once had a very bad reaction to a strawberry from our garden - nothing sprayed on them, but other shop bought ones were ok - go figure!!!

Or he could just be s foodie snob.

Or a combo of all of the above!!!!