Friday, February 25, 2011

My Sissy Is Bringing the Sassy Back!

I have an older sister.  I call her LA! in real life and for purposes of this blog I do too.

She's da' awesome.

To go back a few years [okay - walk with me - all the way back to my birth] - When my Mom was pregnant with me my sister prayed every night for a little sister.  She already had a little brother and he was driving her batty - so she really, really wanted a little sister.

She got me.  Much to the poor woman's chagrin she.got.me.

To say we are different would not be stretching the truth.  She's artistic, analytical [those don't usually go together in the sense I mean, but it works out for her, really well] and calm. Composed even.  I am quirky, compassionate and prone to speaking my mind. [Everyone who has ever received an email/comment from me is now nodding their head in agreement.  You can stop that at anytime. Thanks.]

It took us a LONG time to become close.  Like into our 20s until we became close.  Unfortunately this did not sit well with our Mother and she spent many years pitting each of us against eachother.  Our Mom had this weird thing where she didn't want us to be close because then we wouldn't be close to her.  That wasn't true, but she just wouldn't allow it.  It took us years and our Father's death in 2003 to realize what exactly Mom was doing.  Still, even after he died she continued to do it, but we stepped back and wouldn't listen to her anymore regarding eachother. That really made Mom mad.  Then she died and HOO-BOY did we find out some amazing stuff that Mom had been telling each of us about the other.

I won't go into the details because, well...Mom is gone and it is no longer important but, suffice it to say - I have my sister back and it is a gift.

So the sassy part?

Another way my sister and I are different is in our size.  We look [and sound] eerily alike, but we differ in bone structure and weight - I am basically a smaller version of my sister.  She has fought her weight her whole life.  I remember high school when she was teased for being overweight.  It was cruel - and I watched her suffer through diets and fasting and all kinds of stuff trying to be skinny like me and our brother. It wasn't fair. My parents weren't particularly nice about it either.

Oh-yeah, SASSY! [I am getting there....and yes, this whole post is way to much, but I am so happy I am chatty today.]

I had to come on my blog and BRAG about my sister.  When LA! came to visit over Thanksgiving she was lamenting about her weight.  We all thought she looked great, but understood she wanted to lose a few pounds. Although Thanksgiving isn't really the time to start, right?

Thanksgiving Weekend.
Yes, we put our tree up before she left.
 This past weekend:
Flying her kite at Mytrle Beach, SC
That  picture does not do her justice [the woman needs a digital camera] but my sister has lost 20 lbs since Thanksgiving. Since I know her I can instantly see it. Those are some rocking legs! I am SO happy and proud for her.

We were talking today and I asked her how she did it - we are a family that LIKES to eat y'know - and she said she just cut her portion sizes down and started to eat smaller meals more often.  She laughed and said she had no idea how she lost weight over Christmas or into the new year because she wasn't trying.  It just happened when she started to eat healthier.

We are now calling it "The Skippy Thanksgiving Diet" because that is when the weight started to come off.

Just head on over and stuff yourself at my house because evidently you will never want to do it again.

You go my sassy Sissy! Love you!

15 comments:

Jeannie said...

Congrats LA! That's a good amount of weight to lose in just a couple months with apparently little hardship. I am hoping to lose about 50 lbs or maybe more! within a year. Which should be doable. Just a pound a week. Smaller portions. Less crap. Less booze.

Khadra said...

"Just head on over and stuff yourself at my house because evidently you will never want to do it again."

That was exactly the laugh I needed this morning. Thank you!

Congrats to your sister :)

Krissy said...

That is awesome for your sister, and it's pretty damn great of you to want to brag about it for her! I have struggled with weight issues, and believe me, it's wonderful to have someone toot your horn for you to keep you motivated.

TalkativeTaurus.com

Southhamsdarling said...

How wonderful that you are so very proud of your sister, Skippy!! I am SO pleased that you are now so close. How could your mum have done that all those years?! Hey ho! As you say, that's all behind you now. Myrtle Beach - isn't that where our Bouncin'Barb lives?! Lovely photo and thank you for sharing this story with us.

LBB said...

Yea for your sister! Its so nice to hear you two are close :) My sister is my best friend & hope that my girls will be that for eachother as well.

Diane Laney Fitzpatrick said...

Very sweet! I have three sisters and I can't imagine life without them.

Lyndylou said...

Oh wow, that's brilliant! I am glad that the two of you are closer now and I am sure you are both making up for lost time.

Anonymous said...

That's the way you're supposed to eat anyways. I think that's what helped me lose my 20 pounds.

The Adorkable Ditz' Missteps

caterpillar said...

It's amazing to have a sister, don't you think? I love mine to bits....and Kudos to LA!...

Miss K said...

Awesome for her!!!
My sister and I did not become too close until we were both in our 20s as well

Kathy's Klothesline said...

So, I will be there to gorge myself at your house to begin my diet!! I have 50 lbs to drop .....

Rebecca said...

way to go losing weight is really hard i am sohppy for her

IWASNTBLOGGEDYESTERDAY said...

My Dad did very similar. only 2 out of 3 of us were ever close with each other at diffrent times, never all 3 at once. Its great you are so close now :)

Anonymous said...

aww! you two look so nice together! hate to say this bt d second pic of ur sis completely overshadows d first one(bt she DOES needs to get a digital camera). she looks so happy and cheerful and childlike in the same time! love dat pic of ur sis!

RVVagabond said...

Congratulations to LA on her weight loss. Commonsense rules when it comes to dropping the pounds--that and giving up the boat drinks. Which I'm going to do as soon as we leave Harlingen. I know that as long as we're around "the group" I can't do it.

word vert: ripativ. Saying the same thing over and over=ripativ.