Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Inspired Cooking

Sometimes I look at the food in my fridge and whine [to myself, like a 4 year old] "But I don't want to make that!"  Meaning the dish I had planned when I bought that meat, cheese or veggie.

Today's quandry?  I have a heckuva' lot of fresh veggies from my beloved FIL's garden.  And? I don't want to make that.  Whatever that may be. heehee

I have zucchini, yellow squash, tomatoes, snap beans, onions and garlic Very exciting, but sort of overwhelming.

I usually will take the zucchini, squash, 'maters, onions and garlic and saute them in a pan and serve them as a side for dinner.

But today? Nah. . .that isn't working for me.  Knowing how much my family loves my [completely made up recipe] spinach lasagna and yesterday being National Lasagna Day [who votes for this stuff?]  I decided to make the saute and use that in lieu of the spinach and white sauce I use in the spinach one.

In a large skillet I melted a few TB of extra virgin olive oil and 2 TB of unsalted butter.  Into that I tossed the sliced zucchini, squash, diced onion and minced garlic. [I know, I know - I should do the onion and garlic first, but I like to just let this all simmer. It keeps me from hopping up and down to check it. And I'm not just standing there watching a pot boil.]  Let that cook down until the onion is translucent and the zucchini starts to soften.  Throw in a few diced tomatoes [about two cups - no need to peel, but you can deseed if you like] and cook through.  I also used salt, pepper and dried oregano to taste.  Let simmer, covered until everything is soft and the tomatoes are cooked down.

For the lasagna I prefer the regular, cook first noodles, but you can use the no cook ones too.

I mixed about 2 cups of ricotta with one egg and more dried oregano.  I also use 2 - 3 cups shredded mozzarella.  I also prefer to shred my own in my ninja [mini food processor]. So much better than the pre shredded stuff.

In a lasagna pan [that's what I call my deep 9 x 13 inch pan] I ladled 1/2 of the veggie mix on the bottom. Then I layered the cooked noodles.  Next I covered the noodles with the ricotta mix. I am a sucker for all cheese, so I put the ricotta on thick.  I then ladled about a cup of the veggie mix followed by a few handfuls of mozzarella. Repeat until you run out of . . .something.  I usually go about 3 more go rounds. Finish with the mozzarella.  It makes A LOT of lasagna for a family of 3 [2 actually because I probably won't eat this, although I want to], but I will just cut up the leftover, freeze in single serving containers and Steven will have lunch for 5 days.  I don't know how long it will last in the freezer because everytime I make lasagna and store the leftovers they never make it to freezer burn stage because he and Evie eat it so fast.

I will bake this at 375 degrees for approximately 45 minutes covered, taking the cover off for the last few minutes of baking.

Thanks to everyone who voted for Bizzy yesterday. The voting continues for the Extended Stay America Recipe Contest - and you can vote once per day, per email address until August 22.

Happy Day All!  See ya' on the flipside.



12 comments:

Gypsy said...

The lasagna sounds great. You are ambitious, I am lazy! I would have mixed up a small amount of beef or chicken broth, added the veggies and a little bit of pasta (I cook for 1 person so I've finally learned to make smaller amounts).

lotta joy said...

Joe is a one third man, which means every meal has to have 1/3 meat, 1/3 potato, and 1/3 veggies. Yes. I know potatoes are a vegetable, but he doesn't. shhhhh

I am a "one whole plate full of veggies" kind of person. And I have been frying all your veggies in butter and olive oil and doing a happy dance for about a week now. I've also managed to fill Joe's need for meat by frying up mushrooms (especially portobello - but who can afford those more than once).

Just this morning it occurred to me to do a full veggie lasagna like you did! Great minds, and all that.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

I have tons of tomatoes and grew my own garlic and shallots this year, peppers, too. I made some killer tomato sauce the other day. So good, I think I will do it again! Grew rosemary, sage, basil and oregano, too. Yum.

Juli said...

I would love a good lasagna right now. Sadly until the stitches are out I'm on limited chewing. :( But I did go over a vote...

Shelly said...

Was just popping through and saw you are back. Glad you are here!

Julie said...

Skippy - nit been here for a while.
Glad to see you back - I've missed you!

Celia said...

It's me! I'm back again. I don't have my blog up, yet, but I will let you know. I am in a cubicle right now starving to death. Reading about food...

Abbe@This is How I Cook said...

Aww. Skippy mom we have something in common. We like Biz. Which means we probably would like each other, too. Thanks for stopping by my blog. Can't wait to read more of yours. This lasagne sounds awesome!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link love sweetie! I actually was inspired by you and I bought fresh lasagna sheets at the store - a package was only $1.99!

I am thinking of using up the rest of my beef shank and sausage ragu for the sauce - most likely for one of my lunches because my Italian husband doesn't like red sauce anymore - what??!!

Hugs and love!

life in the mom lane said...

Sounds delish!!!!

lotta joy said...

I am SO SICK of cooking, and no restaurants can cook as good as I do, so I'm not happy eating out either!!

I have no need to go to the grocery because my refrigerator is full, but I get tired of not being able to come up with any NEW ideas. I made yours yesterday. This is today, and, bummer.

aapkinews said...

a temples gel can help develop hair back. Search for one that has included protein. Meanwhile, use fillers to conceal the slight territories. AAPKI NEWS
AAP KI NEWS