Wednesday, November 30, 2011

The Advent of the Stockings

Tomorrow starts one of my favorite traditions.  ADVENT STOCKINGS for the kids.


Every year we hang little stockings on their bedroom doorknobs and each night we stick a small present in them [usually $1 or less - socks, panty hose, make up, toy cars, candy, etc.] and mark it with a number. Tomorrow, the 1st of December with be number 24, Friday will be 23 and so on until the the morning of the 24th when it is 1! The kids get a big kick out of what we can find and it excites them to get up each morning.  It isn't the cheapy little presents as much as the surprise of what is in the stocking. :D

ETA:  Tracy asked what about Squirrel, the one at college - We wrapped all her little presents, numbered them and sent them off.  She is on the honor system to open only one a day. :)  She will open 16 at college and the remaining 8 here.

See you on the flipside Tadpoles!

18 comments:

Carolyn said...

What a great idea! May have to steal that in a year or two when Rhiannon get a little bigger.

Juli said...

OH! I love this! I have been looking for an advent idea. I may have to steal this one.

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

I agree what a wonderful idea I really like the sound of it.......

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Kinda like an innovative and fun version of an Advent calendar. What a terrific idea. Love it!

Tracy said...

How cute. Are you saving up the stockings for your daughter at college? Or do you have a little elf to do it for her?

colenic said...

I LOVE IT!! that's such an awesome idea....that would be awesome fun....

Patty said...

LOVE IT! Instigating next year.

Teresa said...

what a great idea. my younger siblings had advent calendars with chocolates behind the doors. i think i like your idea better.

Sally said...

I love this idea! If I had my act together a little more, I would do this for my husband :-) It's a great idea for next year, though.

RVVagabond said...

I want to live at your house!

word vert: unfit. The Beast is unfit to live in at this moment. (Seriously, I do not make the word verts up!)

Jeannie said...

Very cool idea! But I am not nearly organized enough to pull that one off! Good thing I don't have to worry about it anyway with all the kids on their own now. I'll be lucky to have a present for each of them come Christmas.

Redhead said...

Such a neat idea to do! I've seen the little "doors" calendars, but the tiny sock is much better. And the side effect of getting them out of bed quickly, great!

Southhamsdarling said...

Hi dear friend. I'm sorry I always seem to be bringing up the rear these days!! What an absolutely brilliant idea about hanging those stockings on the bedroom door. So much better than a normal Advent Calendar! Do you think if I hung one on my bedroom door, hubby might put a little treat in there for me each day?! Nope = me neither!! I'm starting to get really excited about Christmas now. Hee Hee!!

Anonymous said...

That's a lovely tradition Skippy! And a great idea :)
Have a lovely day my friend! Big hugs x

Rudee said...

Now that's a clever idea!

Anonymous said...

I love that idea Skippy! I am shipping your package tomorrow! I wanted to include some cookies so I baked them last night.

I hope to vacuum seal them so they will stay fresh. :D

Crystal Pistol said...

Wow. Cool! My kids would love it if I did that! I don't know if I have the patience though. I'm more of a tear the wrapping off a huge pile of gifts in 30 seconds kind of girl. Fast and furious. :)

Yum Yucky said...

you are such a cool mom!!! nuff said.