Monday, October 12, 2009

Your Thermostat and You

It is a well known fact I hate my gas company. It should also be common knowledge that I am attempting to hold out for November 1st before I turn on our [gas] heat in our home.

I do get awfully cold in the kitchen and family room, but have plenty of blankets and quilts on my bed for the nighttime and I layer. Whooboy do I layer. I even type with gloves on.

I do. Seriously.

My kids both have goose down duvets, cotton blankets and quilts on their bed, plus warm pajamas and also can layer during the morning/evening hours. They don't quite suffer the cold the way I do, but....I have to ask.

At what point do you turn on your heater? Do you set it on auto and set the at 62 or above? It is going to be in the 40's tonight - but I think with all the layering, pajamas and covers we are good.

Still, should I turn it on? I think the girls are saying what I want to hear because I have been pretty adament about the Nov. 1st deadline. I just didn't think it was going to get this cold this fast. [And yes, I do appreciate some of you out there have snow/colder weather than us] This is just odd for so early in October.

I want to wait - but I don't want to chill the girls out. So, what do you all do? Majority rules.

5 comments:

lesthook said...

HMMM? I have lived in base housing where they turn on at a certain date and not before! Have you considered a couple of space heaters? They are much more modern than they used to be. And much safer too.

Anonymous said...

I would go with the space heaters as well. 2 or 3 could do it and help you to burn off the chill

christopher said...

Well, up here in Canada... ;)

It's actually been a really weird year for us. September was the warmest month of the year, and we got 5" of snow over the weekend. We've been warming up to about 40 degrees during the day and going down to about 14 degrees at night. When our house started to consistently sit at 62-63 in our house, I flipped on the furnace and have it set to 66-67. I'm not sure how that compares to what most people have theirs set to, but it ends up being comfortable with a sweater on.
We're getting a new furnace next week though, so no more $300+ gas bills this winter!
And I'll third the space heater idea. I love those things (especially since my master bedroom sits at 57 in the winter)

Marni said...

I let Carl decide. I stay cold so I just put on sweatshirts and live under a blanket. When he (or the kids) get cold, we'll turn it on.

Usually mid-October or early November.

life in the mom lane said...

If it is going to go below 50 degrees overnight I turn it on- I set it right above 60 at this time of year, about 66-68 during the dead of winter....