Thursday, May 28, 2015

Frick and Frack

As my mom  used to say.

It's what she called my brother and me when we used to get into mischief.

Well. . . y'all know me. I am a big dog kind of girl.  Dachshunds are the exception, hence Spot the Dot, but my preference is to have big dogs. My favorite breed is the Chesapeake Bay Retriever. And that explains my little pony, Scoobers and his predecessor, my beloved Rudy.

But now? Even Spottie is too much for me.  She weighs about 22 lbs, which is a fine weight for her breed of standard size, but heaven forbid she try to sit in my lap or jump up on my legs for a treat. She has never been a jumper except with me and now I can't change that behavior. She is 11 years old and really it's not a problem, but the constant pain doesn't allow me to enjoy her like I wish.

Don't get me wrong. Spot is my savior on all days and I would NEVER give her up. And if our history of having dachshunds is any indication she will live 5 or 6 more years. Steven is convinced the girl is going to break the record for longest lived Dachshund at 22 years 5 months just to spite him.

hee

But yesterday we were gifted with a new family member.  And to tell you the truth Tadpoles I never thought I would see the day I had a dog smaller than Spottie.  Or that I would agree to rescue yet another animal and in this case, a breed of dog I am not particularly fond of.

Yes gang...our newest family member is a Chihuahua named Bentley.
And he is a kick!  He is one year old and came from a friend of ours whose Grandmother raised him from a puppy.  She recently had a stroke and was moved into different living arrangements where taking care of Bentley would be impossible.


So....being home all day the grandkids decided our family [me!] was a good fit.  They gave us Bentley, his cage, his dishes...basically everything, for free, knowing we would give him a loving home.

He fits in perfectly [well....don't ask the cat] but Spot loves him, as he loves her. He is caged trained and knows his commands. I am truly impressed at how well he is doing after one day, and being only one year old.  So a big bravo to Grandma.

Please understand that no pup or kitty could replace my Spotters in my heart. She comes first above all our pets, but I think she's kind of happy to have a new partner in crime  I hope so at least.

And now? I have a new lap doggie who doesn't weigh too much. Yippy Skippy.

And that is what's happening in the pond Tadpoles. Hope y'all are safe and dry. The weather sure is being it's wicked self this week, isn't it?

Take care and we'll talk soon.  I'm off to find the Snickers, our cat and try and console her. :D

Smile loudly. Life is such a gift.

Oh - and the "Frick and Frack" title? Yeah, that is what I call the two dogs. giggle


11 comments:

Teresa said...

Super cute fella! Congrats on the acquisition.
Super wet here and more rain in the forecast. Stay high and dry if you can. That's my plan. :)

ellen abbott said...

I never cared for chihuahuas either but then my son's wife had one and then he got one and so I have learned that chihuahuas are pretty OK dogs.

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

I've always loved big dogs, too. Especially boxers, in spite of their epic drooling and smelly gas, but little bitty dogs are terrific, too. I had a cross between a chihuahua and a toy Manchester for many years. (Cuervo in "Hot Flashes..." is based on her.) My baby's name was Dixie, and her brother, which was adopted by my cousin, was named Pixie. :) When we brought the "little mice" home, they were tiny enough to tuck into a pocket. I loved them to pieces... especially Dixie, of course... and I predict you're gonna love your new pup to pieces, too. Lap dogs can be soooooo cuddly.

CWMartin said...

Bentley, huh? I watch too many Bachelor Father reruns, but I expect him to look like John Forsythe...

Biz said...

I never thought I would like a tiny dog either - but Hannah's Boston Terrier is a complete hoot - whenever I come home she runs to me as if to say "you came back!"

Lap dogs are good for the soul :D

Julie said...

the cat will tolerate the dog - just!!!
Can't imagine our cats ever liking a dog - they give even the cat next door growling looks if she ever dares venture
into our garden!!!

Unknown said...

To Play Bazaar assist your business in growing a base of customers with Internet marketing, make sure you stay active on social media sites. By creating and maintaining a Facebook page for your business, you encourage customers and fans to interact and spread the word about your products and services. For a more informal and personal means of interacting with your customers, Twitter is Satta King highly recommended.

playbazaar said...

who is with you when I’m not with you play bazaar satta king I am jealous of everybody.

aapkinews said...

You should shed your face frequently. Peeling your face removes the top layer of dead skin cells, uncovering the smoother, more beneficial skin underneath.

Chris Michael said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jaff Parker said...
This comment has been removed by the author.